- 125 g/4 ½ oz/1 cup self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125 g/4 ½ oz/ ¾ cup soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml/3 ½ fl oz/scant ½ cup sunflower oil
- 125 g/ 4 ½ oz carrot, peeled and grated finely
- 25 g/1 oz/ 1/3 cup desiccated (shredded) coconut
- 25 g/1 oz/ 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 50 g/1 ¾ oz/10 tsp butter, softened
- 50 g/1 ¾ oz full fat soft cheese
- 225 g/8 oz/1 ½ cups icing (confectioners’) sugar, sieved (strained)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Green piping icing
- Orange piping icing
- Lightly grease a 20cm/8 inch square cake tin (pan) and line with baking parchment.
- Sieve (strain) the flour, salt and ground cinnamon into a large bowl and stir in the brown sugar. Add the eggs and oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the grated carrot, desiccated (shredded) coconut and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin (pan) and bake in a preheated oven, 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 20-25 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin (pan).
Make the cheese frosting
- In a bowl, beat together the butter, full fat soft cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice until the mixture is fluffy and creamy.
Turn the cake out of the tin (pan) and cut into 10 bars.
Spread with the frosting and draw carrots with piping icing.