Additional energy is required during pregnancy to support the metabolic demands of pregnancy and fetal growth. In the first trimester required energy is the same as for the nonpregnant female but then increase and additional 360 kcal/day during the second trimester and another 115 kcal/day in the third trimester.
A balanced diet that results in appropriate weight gain during pregnancy generally supplies the reguired vitamins and minerals needed for pregnancy. Routine use of supplements is needed in high-risk pregnancies in undernourished women, women with substance abuse, teenage mothers, women with short interval between pregnancies, and multiple gestations.
Suggested menu during pregnancy
- 1 cup milk, reduced fat
- ½ cup oatmeal
- 1 slice whole-grain toast
- 1 tbsp butter, not salted
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 oz turkey sandwich on rye bread with lettuce and tomato
- Green salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup jelly (peach, strawberry)
- 4 squares Graham crackers
- 1 cup Fruit juice
- 3 oz baked chicken breast
- 1 baked potato with 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup peas and carrots
- Green salad
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cup yogurt with fruits
Nutritional care during pregnancy
- Alcohol omitted
- Caffeine in moderation: less than 200mg/day (2 cups of coffee)
- Sodium intake that is not excessive but is no less than 2-3g/day
- Mineral and vitamin intakes to meet the recommended daily allowances (folic acid and iron supplementation is required)
- Protein intake to meet nutritional needs, about and additional 25g/day
- Energy intake to meet nutritional needs and allow for about 14 oz (400 g) weight gain per week during the last 30 weeks of pregnancy
Quantities of food should be adjusted to meet individual energy needs to promote appropriate weight gain. Pregnant adolescents and very active or underweight pregnant woman require greater quantities.
Meal plans, with measured proportions with calories calculated, choice of plans for 1, 2 or 4-week intervals, familiar dishes with familiar ingredients, many plans feature a choice of sizes for individual needs.
Find menu, that best fits your need.