2/18/2016

Cold or flu?


Are You feeling not well? Stuffy nose, coughing and feel exhausted? Not sure if you have a cold or the flu? Colder weather and crowded travel can lead to the transmittance of sickness. Flu and cold symptoms are similar and may differ only in severity.


The following table shows the differences between symptoms of the common cold and the more severe flu:



Cold Flu
Pathogen Coronaviruse
Respiratory syncytial viruse
Influenza A viruse
Influenza B viruse
Influenza C viruse
Symptoms headache
runny or stuffy nose
sore throat
mild to moderate fever
body aches
sneezing
cough
mild tiredness
moderate to high fever
severe body/muscle aches
sore throat
dry, hacking cough
shaking chills
profound fatigue
Treatment nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (ibuprofen) to relieve aches
drink plenty of fluids
- antiviral drugs
Prevention stay away from anyone who is sick
wash your hands often with soap
- flu vaccine

As you can see, both diseases are causes by viruses, however different kinds of viruses. Hence, the symptoms are different.
If you are less than 100% sure, you will feel better and recover faster if you let yourself rest. Simple relaxation has been found to increase immune system cells.

Eating balanced meals, exercising regularly and keeping a positive frame of mind can go a long way toward heightening our immunity against the flu.

Be sure to visit your doctor if you are running a fever.


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/02/2016

    I received a flu shot back in Nov. or Dec.2013,Since that time I have had a severe chest and head cold or the flu 4 times. I'm going to be 63 and never in my entire life have I had respiratory problems like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert3/02/2016

    I take all kinds of supplements including several antioxidants.I eat healthy and take fiber supplements.I exercise daily.I wash my hands probably 8 to 10 times a day.I don't smoke and hardly ever take a drink. Pretty soon I'm going to throw all of these supplements in the garbage and start smoking and drinking.It seems that the people I know that constantly smoke and drink and eat garbage food are less sick then I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So basically the cold is a mild problem thou influenza becomes more of something problematic throughout time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Department of Human and Health Services found that, with or without a flu shot, pneumonia and influenza hospitalization rates for the elderly are less than one percent during the influenza season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regardless of vaccination status, 99 percent of the elderly recover from the flu without being hospitalized

    ReplyDelete